Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Biking in Yellowstone

     I live in Montana, mountains are cool, what do you expect?  Everywhere you look there is a mountain with a name.  If you're fortunate, there is a signpost nearby.  For those eagle scouts out there, a detailed topography map and compass.  Put me in the former group.

     Yellowstone opened today!  For bikes and walkers that is.  The west highway from Mammoth Hot Springs to West Yellowstone opened to outdoor enthusiasts on either foot or wheel.  I took the opportunity to drive up to Mammoth and get my first Spring ride in.  For the occasion I threw a new chain and some click-in pedals on the ride.  I figured I might as well get serious about the bike gear and pony up some cash for shoes and pedals.  Best investment yet.  To my initial dismay, just past the car barricade, the asphalt looked like it had been replaced with a dirt road.  My first thought was that I should have brought the mountain bike I don't own.  Thankfully, 50 yards ahead uphill the road showed its true color.  Fairly smooth pavement.

        I was unsure of how far I should go.  So to Norris would be my destination.  42 miles roundtrip.
I'd say the road is mostly up hill to Norris.  Which made the return trip that much more fun.  Cruising in big gears all the way back.  What a relief. That was my longest ride to date.  But that record will be surpassed next weekend.  If it's nice out, I'll keep on trucking to Madison.  I'm looking forward to seeing see more buffalo, mudpots, waterfalls, and sunshine too.

       Oh, hey Mt. Holmes!  Thanks for the boost earlier.  I'll get you back next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment